Here are my summary notes on installing Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.01 and Microsoft SharePoint Services 3.0 on the same server. The server is running Windows 2003 Standard. MS does NOT recommend this configuration but hey, who says I gotta follow the rules ALL the time! I am installing SPS first which will give it port 80, then WSUS will need a custom port when it installs. Reference: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkld=81199 Installation Guide for Windows SharePoint Services.
1. The server has some junk on it so I removed as much as possible including IIS and the application server role. The Machine is fully patched.
2. Added the Application Server Role which includes IIS. Be sure and select ASP.NET on the Application Server Options page.
3. Installed MS .NET Framework 3.5 Redistributable Package (35MB)
4. Installed MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Package (52MB)
5. Went to Microsoft Updates and the installed the following: KB951847
6. Using IIS Manager, verified ASP.NET v2.0.50727 is marked allowed.
7. Installed SharePoint Services 3.0 as a stand alone server.
8. Ran the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard.
9. Verfied the localhost site (http://servername) is added to the trusted sites list in IE 7
10. Verfied the Windows SharePoint Services Web Application service is running
11. Installed the SMTP service on IIS
12. Configured the SMTP service
13. Configure Incoming and Outgoing mail service.
So far so good; I have the basic site up and running. Next up: Apply the helpdesk template.